The Summer Reading Program at our local library is something we loved during the summer. It seems like yesterday we would go to the library, listen to Ms. Pam read and sing with us, and leave with a tote bag of books. Now that my kiddos are big, that is a sweet memory of the past. Like ours, perhaps your library is not fully open. Don’t let that put a damper on your summer reading. I’m here to help!
I’ve led a handful of summer reading challenges over the years with my little Usborne business, and they have been a great way to keep kids reading throughout the summer and get rewarded with books. This year, I’m stepping it up a notch! Whether you are interested in your kids developing a reading habit, or you want to add to your home library – I’ve got something for everyone – even us big kids! This year, I chose the theme “It’s so good to be home”. For obvious reasons such as we are are at home more this summer, but my goal is share books, activities, and ideas for your family all centered around home.
I am an Independent Consultant for Usborne Books & More. This is not an Usborne Books & More sponsored challenge. I designed this program myself to get kids (and adults) in the habit of reading and earn free prizes only available from me. Participation is FREE. You are under no obligation whatsoever to purchase anything* for the summer reading challenge. (*shipping ONLY on books rewarded from pledges).
Three Reasons to take the challenge
- “Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.” I love that quote, and never has it been more true than now! So many fun places we normally would visit are still closed. Isn’t it great that we have books to take us places?
- Summer slide is a familiar phrase we hear this time of year, and it is real. We are not year round homeschoolers, but like most people, we are year round learners. I’ve never been much for keeping up with workbooks and such during the summer. For most kids, simply maintaining a daily reading habit can prevent that slide.
- We have a rare opportunity this summer to discover it really is good to be home. I know most of us are tired of that phrase, including myself. Rather than splitting everyone apart at various camps, sports, and even vacation Bible school, this summer may be just the summer to reconnect rather than disconnect us from our families. I’m actually looking forward to the simple things like yard games, marshmallow roasts, and of course, reading!
Three Ways to take the challenge.
I have had so much fun and spent a lot of time developing the Summer Reading Challenge. Please be kind, and use this for your own personal use. Encourage your friends to visit my blog, so they can join in on the fun too!
- Download the FREE reading packet. You can find it in the free resource library. Here you will find a packet with two bingo boards and a reading log. If you’re not interested in the other parts of the packet, it is totally fine, only print the sheets you want, and use them however you wish with your family.
- Join me on Facebook, then join my private group. Here is where the fun begins! I will have weekly themes all centered on HOME. I will do live read alouds, have drawings for free stuff, and fun ideas on how you can have fun right at home!
- If you want to fill your bookshelves, take it a step further and participate in my pledge-based reading incentive! Many know it as Reach for the Stars, and has been a success every time we’ve done one! This is where the reader collects money from friends and family members as sponsors. Your child will get to keep 100% of the pledges he/she collects and use that money to buy Usborne & Kane Miller books! Your child will have so much fun selecting REWARD BOOKS at the completion of the challenge. I also have special prizes for those who participate in this particular challenge! You can find the packet in the free resource library.
Whether you use this summer reading challenge just to log reading time, or the Facebook freebies, or to build your own home library, the goal is to read. Just read.
Find the downloadable packet in my FREE RESOURCE LIBRARY for the bingo cards and reading log. An information sheet as well as a pledge collection sheet is available if you are interested. If you would like to join my group on Facebook, and/or the reading incentive program, please fill out THIS TYPEFORM so I will be able to send you happy mail and books!