Twenty-twenty. The unforgettable year that will go down in history. What has seemed like something from the Twilight Zone, or the never-ending game of Jumangi, has been real life for people worldwide. As a homeschooling, self-employed family, our lives have not been nearly as altered as it has for so many. For that, I am thankful!
I am always learning something new, especially as a homeschool mom. Reflecting on the year as it closes, I decided to make a list of twenty new things I have learned in 2020. In no particular order (except the first one), they are:
1. Homeschooling is not as weird as people once thought. Virtual learning may be another story, but true homeschooling has got to be the most normal thing in my life. I have been thrilled with the reports I have been hearing that the only regret is they didn’t start sooner!
2. Stepping back from the busyness of life has its advantages. Slowing down a notch has not been a bad idea, and most of us should have probably done that sooner as well.
3. The mainstream news media is the devil. No need to elaborate, most can agree.
4. Facebook memes are awesome! These are a few favorites from 2020.
5. Home cooked meals are the best. I’ve been getting a lot of practice.
6. Smiles are valuable to society. We need to see smiles again.
7. I can survive without Target. Nine months – for real!
8. This is the L-O-N-G-E-S-T fourteen days ever!
9. Online tutorials are fantastic! I’ve learned many new recipes, some art techniques, and I’ve even learned to cut my husband’s hair!
10. Buy extra. Doomsday preppers are not crazy.
11. I will stop to read the nameplates on every statue I see. You never know when they will be gone.
12. Some subjects I thought I needed to teach our kids are not as important as teaching history, politics, and government from a trusted source.
13. Any doubt I have personally felt about homeschooling has been completely erased.
14. Manipulation of an entire population is far easier than I ever thought possible.
15. The ocean breeze puts my mind at ease. The beach has done me more good this year than ever.
16. There are many rule followers. I’m NOT one of them.
17. Learn to be your own entertainment. So far, that has not been difficult.
18. “Setting back a generation” is not a negative phrase, and may be just what we need in America.
19. Anyone really can homeschool.
20. As we begin 2021, wash your hands and turn off the news. Everything will be just fine.
I love to hear from my readers! What you have learned from 2020?